Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Time Ever - wow what an experience

As discussed in the last post, Mark & I joined the Texas Hold Em Tournament. 2-3 times a week we get together with 50-80 people (mostly men but about 10% women) and play Texas Hold Em. This is the poker tournaments like on television but no betting allowed. Every starts with the same amount of chips and sits at a table of 10 people. Two cards are dealt & then you bet (no real money involved) or fold (throw in the crummy cards I keep getting - haha). Then the dealer flips over 3 cards & you bet or fold again, then 1 more card, & bet or fold. So you have 2 cards no one knows & 5 on the table. You play to the last person with chips (the minimum bid keeps going up every 10 minutes)
We have played 5 times so far - I lost on a misread (by me) hand the 1st time, then I placed 14th next, then 2nd, then 3rd, and then 3rd again. Mark is amazed that I can keep up with everything going on. I think my mind has so many thoughts running through it that I see everything happening. It also does not hurt that a lot of men underestimate women. One more "little woman" comment & I am punching someone out. Not really but I do put them out of the game.
Anyway this is about last night - 78 people played & the card sharks were out in full force. I stayed in until 3rd & went out on what should have been a safe play - they are the one's that get me. Afterwards 2 of the guys that Mark & I have played with a couple of times, came up afterwards to congratulate me. I said thank you and smiled. Then it happened, a FIRST, he said "you are my hero". hahaha! It was so funny but he said no really, these guys have played for years and you made the top 20 4 out of 5 times and the top 3 - 3 out of 5 times. You only get points if you make the top 20.
Who knew it would take poker to be a hero but it felt good anyway. Mark is so proud of me but stays nervous after he gets out of game. I find it lots of fun whether second or 28th. The company is fun & not offended if I do not talk to them.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Glad you and Mark are having fun together! I guess soon they will be calling you a card shark..hehe!

myglorydays said...

Not likely ever a shark - not willing to play that much. It is a game & a chance to meet new people. Theses sharks play 10 times a week plus on line. They have no life except poker. I am in it for the fun.
Today I have a sore throat & a headache - wondering if one of those at my table was sick. I even missed church :( Did not want to infect others.